The concept behind this module is to Merge the guitar pedals and the modular synths together. “The idea stemmed from the fact that we wanted to use our pedals in conjunction with our ever growing eurorack rigs.” Merge allows users to utilize different parts of your signal than just the sound. It extracts amplitude information and generates control voltages that can be used in conjunction with other modules and eurorack level equipment. With an instrument input, FX loop (each with their own independent level control), and an envelope follower this module opens the stargate to new and unexplored sonic territory.
Build Document – Assembly Guide
- IN – Signal Inputs. The two IN jacks are tied together so you can use either a ¼” or ⅛” cables. (Unbalanced)
- LVL – Amplifier gain control
- GAIN OUT – Amplified signal output
- GAIN SEND – The same signal that is present at “GAIN OUT” is also present at “GAIN SEND”. “GAIN SEND” is normalled to “RECTRCV”, meaning, if nothing is plugged into “GAIN SEND” or “RECTRCV”, then the jacks are connected together. If you plug a cable into either jack then the connection between them is broken. This allows you to send the amplified signal to other modules for processing and then back into the next section of Merge. Alternatively this also allows you to use the different sections of Merge independently on different signals.
- RECTRCV (Rectified Receive) – Normalled to the signal present at “GAIN SEND”. Serves as the input to the envelope follower section of Merge.
- RECTOUT (Rectified Output) – outputs a fullwave rectified version of the input signal. Fullwave rectification essentially means to take the negative portion of a signal and flip it to be positive. (waveform offset for visual clarity only).
- FRICTION – works in conjunction with “INERTIA” to fine tune the response time/envelope smoothness.
- SCALE – controls the output level of the envelope signal.
- ENVELOPE SIGNAL OUTPUT – Outputs an envelope signal from 0V to some positive value set by the scale.
- INVERTED ENVELOPE SIGNAL OUTPUT – Outputs an inverted envelope signal from 0V to some positive value set by the scale.
- ENVSEND – passes a copy of the positive envelope to the next section of Merge and is normalled to “LOGIC” the same way that “GAIN SEND” and “RECTRCV” are normalled together.
- LOGIC – Normalled to the signal present at “ENVSEND”. Serves as the input to the logic section of Merge.
- GATE – sets the threshold level to turn the gate output on. The gate signal will stay high as long as the input signal is above the threshold.
- GATE OUTPUT – outputs the gate signal based on the envelope information
- TRIG – sets the threshold level to output a trigger signal. When the input signal goes above the threshold, a trigger signal will go logic high, then almost immediately go logic low again. The trigger generator is reset when the input signaldrops back below the threshold level.
- TRIG OUTPUT – outputs the trigger signal based on the envelope information and the “TRIG” knob
- SND SECTION IN – eurorack signal input to effects loop
- SNDLVL (Send Level) – gain contrl for the input of the effects loop
- MIDDLE 1/4” JACK – output intended for, but not limited to, sending signals to pedals
- RTN SECTION OUT – eurorack signal output from effects loop
- RTNLVL (Return Level) – gain control for output of the effects loop
- RIGHT 1/4” JACK – input intended for, but not limited to, returning signals from pedals
- Width: 16HP
- Depth: 36mm
- 3D Printed Black Panel
- +12V – 50 mA
- -12V – 80 mA