DIY version of Bastl Instruments SKIS module.
Assembly difficulty: easy/medium
dual decay + vca
In the front of every ski there is a curve similar to the decay envelope. Skis module has two channels A and B and each of them consists of a decay envelope with knob control and a VCA. There is a TRIGGER input to trigger the envelope, a buffered envelope output which is normalised to the CV input of the VCA. Than there is SIGNAL IN and OUT of the VCA.
There is also a CRUNCH switch which activates a special mosfet lofi VCA circuit inspired by designs of Standa Filip. This adds a slight crunchy character which is changing with the decay of the envelope.
A typical application of Skis is to take two signals (noises for example) and generate drum sounds with adjustable DECAY from them with a TRIGGER signal. However you can also use the two VCAs and two DECAY envelopes independently.
- dual decay envelope with adjustable decay time (trigger input, CV output)
- dual vca (signal IN, signal OUT, CV IN is normalized to CV output of decay envelope)
- crunch feature inspired by circuits of Standa Filip
- jumpers for changing the decay envelope to release envelope (vca is on full while there is a gate signal and than it decays)
- jumpers for enabling the decay knob to completely mute the decay envelope
- jumpers for selecting weird filtering of the output signal (also inspired by Standa Filip)
- front panel from oak wood, handmade custom knobs
- 5 HP
- current: +12: <30mA, -12: <20mA
- 35mm deep (skiff friendly)
- PTC fuse and diode protected 10 pin power connector
For the successful completion of this kit you will need the following tools:
- Soldering iron (15-20W will do)
- protective eyewear
- flush cutters
- n2. hex screwdriver or allen key
- phillips screwdriver.
- one afternoon of free time
DIY Kit is containing:
- All necessary components
- Amount of tin that should be “just enough and a bit more”
- Oak wood lasercutted panel (no polish, feel free to paint it!)
- screws to mount you module in your rack
- Printed product manual
- Supercool bastl sticker
- Tons of soldering fun!
The complete step-by-step assembly guide can be found HERE.
And dont be afraid of messing it up! If you will end up with malfuctional unit you can always let your module to come to daddy for repair;)