This is a full kit for building a Eurorack PEPPER module. PEPPER is designed to integrate the Bela programming unit into the world of Modular and Eurorack synths! Plug Bela into your computer, access the browser-based IDE, and start coding with C++, Pure Data, Supercollider, Csound and more using BELA’s selection of on-board examples covering everything from synthesis to sensors.
Once assembled, PEPPER is 18HP wide and adds the following to your modular setup:
- I/O (1/8″ jacks):
- 2 audio in (AC-coupled, 10V pk-to-pk, 44.1kHz, 16bit)
- 2 audio out (AC-coupled, 10V pk-to-pk, 44.1kHz, 16bit)
- 8x CV in (with pots attenuating, 16bit, 0-10V). Optionally, up to 4x of the CV in sockets can be swapped for trigger ins, leaving the pots connected directly to Bela’s analog inputs.
- 8x CV out (16bit, 0-5V)
- 8x pots (attenuation of CV in)
- 4x buttons
- 10x LED output
The Bela unit (included) consists of a Bela cape and a BeagleBone Black, and custom Bela software. Once attached, Bela provides the following processing power:
- 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A8
- 512Mb RAM
- Sub-millisecond round-trip latency
When assembled, attach PEPPER to the Bela unit, plug it into your laptop and access Bela’s browser-based IDE.
If you already have a Bela and want to buy the rest of the Pepper kit without it then email us
Pepper comes with a library of example patches ready to go. These include patches such as an analogue-style tape delay, 4 channel looper. inharmonic oscillator bank, physically-inspired vocal synthesiser, LFO playground, granulator, a couple of drum machines, and template projects for creating your own patches.
- Only positive voltages (0-12V) can be read from the analog and digital inputs although PEPPER is +/-12V safe.
- PEPPER’s external voltages (analog, audio, digital) are scaled down to fit the input range of Bela.
- Analog outputs are not amplified and therefore 0V-5V.
- Analog outputs have ~1k output impedance, in order to protect from damage from other outputs that might be plugged in inadvertently. This means that using passive multiples could lead to voltage drops.
- When powered from 5V (i.e. being used standalone and not taking power from a Eurorack case) the potentiometers will not cover the whole range of the analog input when there is no external input signal connected.
Please note that PEPPER is compatible only with Bela (included), and not with Bela Mini – this is because Bela Mini does not have analog outputs.
Bela is the platform for building beautifully responsive interactive projects with sensors and sound. Bela is used worldwide by thousands of musicians, educators, artists, designers, and makers for musical instruments, interactive art, compelling teaching, responsive sound installations, effects boxes, and much more.
Bela is designed to make high-performance computing accessible for creative people. Connect Bela to a huge number of sensors, program it in your browser in your language of choice, then embed it into your project to add interactivity and sound to your creations.