This discount bundle features 2 x Dynamics kits and 1 x VU meters expander kit – perfect for stereo compressor / EQ duties!
The Dannysound Dynamics is a fully featured Eurorack mono compressor / expander module with a range of on board controls and features. The module has been designed so that it can be used with another Dynamics module as a stereo pair with the Dannysound VU Meters Expander.
The Dynamics modules both connect internally to the VU meters via ribbon cables on the back of the modules, allowing the meters to provide a visual representation of various signals within the Dynamics modules without the need for any patching between them. Adding the VU Meters to Dynamics gives a very useful visual representation of what the Dynamics module is doing and makes it easier to dial in specific settings.
Dynamics was originally designed to focus on drum processing & compression, but in reality can be used for a wide variety of applications. The Dynamics comprises of:
· Compressor / Expander
· Sub Bass Enhancer
· 3 Band Inductor-based EQ
· Harmonic Exciter
The compressor / expander section uses a discrete transistor-based circuit that allows for soft clipping when overdriven. The envelope detector is known as a feedforward type of circuit; taking its input from the signal before it goes to the compressor rather than after. This type of circuit is known for having fast attack times.
The Sub Bass enhancer has its own compression circuit that “ducks” the initial transient. This allows the sub bass to be increased without distortion on the transient peaks increasing the overall level.
There is a MIX control to allow the unprocessed signal to be mixed back in with the processed signal.
The 3 band EQ is an inductor based LCR design. After trying out various EQ topologies this was the design that sounded the nicest. When overdriven it gives a nice “bite” to the sound and it has a certain characterful charm that’s hard to put into words. The controls have a response that are subtle to begin with and get more pronounced as the controls are increased.
The Harmonic Exciter adds a little distortion to the high frequencies which bring out the sparkle of cymbals or the snap of snare drums. The operating bandwidth can be switched between Low (snare drum snap) or High (Cymbals sparkle).
There are inputs for side chaining and control with an external envelope as well as an envelope out to make the envelope detector output available to drive other modules.
It also features separate inputs and outputs for the Compressor / Expander and EQ sections, so they could be used as 2 separate modules.
- No PCB trimmers or calibration required.
- Compressor / Expander
- Sidechain Input
- Envelope In/Out
- Bypass control
- Sub Bass enhancer
- 3 band inductor based EQ
- Harmonic Exciter
- Seperate outputs for Comp/Exp and EQ sections
- Width: 12HP
- Depth: 51mm
- Power: +12V = 85mA, -12V = 61mA
The VU Meter controls for each channel are:
3 position toggle switch:
- C/E OUT – Monitor the compressor/expander output.
- INPUT – Monitor the Dynamics input level or external input if it’s used.
- C/E AMT – Monitor Dynamics compression/expansion amount.
3 position toggle switch:
- HI SENS – High sensitivity setting, best for monitoring the C/E OUT signal of percussive sounds and drums etc.
- OFF – If you want to turn meters off. Note that this stops the needles moving but the backlights will stay on.
- LO SENS – Low sensitivity setting, best for monitoring the C/E AMT signal or anything that overloads the HI SENS setting.
- External inputs for monitoring external sources
- Switch to select High/Low meter sensitivity or to disable each dial.
- Monitor either Compression/Expansion amount, Unprocessed Input signal, or post Compression/Expansion.
- Width: 8HP
- Depth: 51mm
- Power: +12 = 0.03mA, -12 = 83mA, +5V = 3mA