PATCH & TWEAK provides an opportunity for new and experienced users to become true masters of their modular systems by exploring, explaining, and demystifying a range of topics relevant to anyone interested in modular synths or just synthesis itself.
A cornerstone of PATCH & TWEAK is a bouquet of inspirational interviews with significant creators and major artists. Learn about their systems, philosophies, patching secrets, performance tips, and passion for modular synthesis.
Besides a comprehensive introduction to synthesis and its history, the book covers systematic sections on concepts, purpose and creative possibilities of specific modules. Enjoy colorful diagrams, presentations of both popular and rare modules, semi-modular and software, as well as techniques for patching and how to get started.
Approx. 368 pages in full color. Hardcover. Dimensions: 24.5 x 24.5 cm (9.6 x 9.6 inches). Printed in Denmark on 130g acid-free quality paper.
Overall chapters and structure
- Foreword by electronic music pioneer Suzanne Ciani
- Introduction to Modular Synthesis (Harmonics, Voltage Control, etc.)
- Formats and history (timeline and stories on the beginnings, 5U, Moog, Serge, Eurorack, Buchla, etc.)
- Starting Points (software, semi-modular, systems, etc.)
- Interfacing With Modular (audio in/out, MIDI, computer integration, etc.)
- Sound Sources (VCOs, Percussion Synthesis, Sampling, etc.)
- Sound Modifiers (VCFs, Waveshapers, VCAs & LPGs, Mixers & Attenuators, Effects)
- Envelopes & Modulators (Envelope Generators, LFOs, Random Sources, CV Recorders)
- Essential Utilities (Voltage Processors, Signal Routing, Multifunction Modules)
- Notes, Clock, and Triggers (Clock Generation, Sequencers, Rythm Pattern Generators, Logic Modules, Touch Controllers)
- Index, Glossary, Resources
PATCH & TWEAK has a foreword by Suzanne Ciani, is written by Kim Bjørn and Chris Meyer, and edited by Paul Nagle.
Also available: PUSH, TURN, MOVE