Dendrites is a highly versatile multimode filter and phaser in 12 HP Eurorack format. The filter core is built around discrete transistor OTAs, as is the resonance VCA. It provides 16 different filter modes, in the categories of low-pass, band-pass, high-pass, and phase shifter (mixed modes are also available!). Simultaneously, Dendrites provides three distinctly different resonance character modes: Vintage, Q-comp and K-style. An input level trim and associated LED allows you to adjust the desired input level, allowing you to hit the filter harder (into saturation) or keep it cleaner. A carefully voiced overdrive circuit (post filter) brings extra weight and grit to the sound when needed, and a wide range of modulation options is available via CV control (including linear and exponential FM, and control over resonance and filter mode).
Filter modes include 4 low-pass modes (6/12/18/24 dB/oct), 4 band-pass modes, 2 high-pass modes (6/12 dB/oct), and 2 phasers (with single and double notch), and 4 mixed modes. These mixed modes provide low/band/high-pass filters with a subtle phasing effect on top – these modes form the biggest surprise of the module, musically.
A common problem with multimode filters like this, is that changes in resonance level alter the shape of the filter (gradually making a high-pass more like a band-pass). With Dendrites River Creative have found a way of preserving the filter shape in all modes, and thanks to modern components, Dendrites’ filter shapes are more accurate than in any of their vintage predecessors.
These 3 resonance modes work in all 16 filter modes, and with the addition of a carefully voiced overdrive, there are 96 different combinations to explore! And that’s without even touching the controls for frequency, resonance, input level, or any modulation, such as linear and exponential frequency modulation (FM), envelope modulation, keyboard tracking (1V/Oct) and switching between filter modes.
- Vintage – Classic resonance, reminiscent of vintage designs. Permanently includes the Nucleus’ solid-bass feature, and adds a smoother top-end response.
- Q-comp – Gain compensated at high resonance to maintain low frequencies. Providing a firm and stable resonant sound, with slightly more saturated character, and flat top-end response.
- K-style – The beefiest of all modes, with a thick mid range and fat low-end, and an aggressive resonant sound.
- 16 filter/phaser modes (4 LP, 4 BP, 2 HP, 2 phaser, and 4 mixed modes)
- 3 distinct resonance characters: Q-comp, Vintage, K-style
- Switchable organic sounding overdrive
- Linear and exponential FM
- CV control over modes, resonance and frequency
- Designed with discrete transistor OTA cores
- Pleasantly saturating input stage with level trim and LED indication
- Envelope and modulation inputs with independent attenuvertors
- All SMD pre-soldered
- Width: 12HP
- Depth: 32mm
- Consumption: 70mA @ +12V, 65mA @ -12V, 30mA @+5V