THIS IS A FULL DIY KIT
SERGE MODULAR FOR EURORACK – Under licence from Serge Tcherepnin
“Serge Modular” is an analogue modular synthesizer system developed by French composer and electronic designer Serge Tcherepnin in the 1970s at The California Institute of the Arts. Serge’s vision to create a “people’s synthesizers” led to a unique modular music system with an iconic design.
In collaboration with and under licence from Serge Tcherepnin, Random*Source offers a range of Serge modules, combining the original Serge circuits with the advantages of today’s technology. The modules on this page are in Eurorack (3U) format.
SERGE RING MODULATOR 2017 (RING)
The 2017 RING is an improved version of the late Serge Ring Modulator (R9), designed by Serge himself for Random*Source in 2017, more than 40 years after the launch of the Serge Modular system. According to Serge, the RING is one of the most sophisticated modules in the Serge system. The new version has been developed by Serge for and in close cooperation with Random*Source. Features include the following:
- A VERY CLEAN SOUND down to very low signal levels (unlike conventional modulators where distortion increases at low levels) .
- 80 dbs OF CARRIER SIGNAL REJECTION.
- INAUDIBLE NOISE OUTPUT .
- NO SQUELCH CIRCUIT IS REQUIRED due to the low noise therefore annoying signal dropouts and “pumping” effects are totally absent.
- INTERNAL WAVESHAPING OF CARRIER to add to modulation effects.
- The sum total of these design improvements is a Ring Modulator capable of treating the most subtle acoustical signals, without the coloration typically associated with even the best previously available ring modulators.
The versatility of the Serge Ring Modulator is enhanced by the added feature of voltage and manual control of the entire spectrum of modulation possible: from zero modulation (i.e. the original, un-treated input signal) through amplitude modulation to full ring modulation. This allows many shadings of effect, manual or automatic with voltage controls. The ability to control the Carrier level manually and through voltage control allows the output to be level controlled, as well. Through the use of an internal signal processor for the Carrier, additional effects can be produced by waveform modification of the carrier signal.
When the module is set to full Ring Modulation from the lower knob or voltage control, the output signal contains the sum and difference frequencies of the Signal Input and the Carrier Input. If both signals are pure sine waves (only one frequency component), the output will be a composite signal consisting two frequency components: the sum and the difference frequency of the Signal and Carrier. If the Carrier level is increased beyond the mid-position, then the carrier waveform will become slightly rounded, and new frequency components will be produced. Each of these new components will also modulate with the Signal input to produce a sum and difference frequency, and the output signal will become richer in harmonics. This effect. is unique to the Serge Ring Modulator, and allows another dimension in timbral modification.
ALL SMD COMPONENTS ALREADY SOLDERED IN – Straightforward build of through-hole parts only
Random*Source Build Document: http://randomsource.net/docs/RandomSource_Serge_RING_Euro.pdf
Some details of the Random*Source RING module:
- Newly designed by Serge in 2017
- Unique MODE control from no effect to AM to ring modulation.
- Multilayer pcb with all SMT parts already soldered in.
- No wiring needed
- Eurorack (3U) format, 10HP