KNOBI is an extremely useful multi-tool module – able to mix, attenuate, invert, display and multiply any kind of signal.
Knobi can serve a wide range of purposes thanks to its internal signal path that makes use of some of the most useful building blocks of analog synthesis: a 4-channel mixer, a three-range offset, an attenuverter, a fixed manual gate and lastly a cascading multiple (derived from the output stage of Agogô).
At the top of the module are Knobi’s 4 inputs – a, b, c and d, while r is a fixed 5v reference output. The toggle switch next to d sets the range of the offset knob – the big knob below the meter. The range can be set to either 0 to 10v, 0 to 5v, or -5 to 5v.
Connect a signal into one of the inputs to visualize its voltage value in the three digits meter. Keep in mind that this reading happens post offset and attenuverter – the smaller knob with (-) and (+) indications. Self patch the ‘r’ reference output into one of the inputs to use Knobi as a macro controller thanks the offset knob and switch to set the range and the attenuverter.
The lower section of the module has four multiply outputs and a pushbutton. The pushbutton adds a gate of 5v to the mix: with no input connected it will act as a manual gate output. The output are labelled x1, x2, x3 and x4 – these are all cascading copies of the final signal path. Plugging a cable will break the normalization and the multiplication will reset starting from the next output. Four cables plugged in will output a copy at the same factor x1 – unity gain – making Knobi a versatile buffered multiple.
- Thermally compensated 5v voltage source with dedicated output.
- Four channel mixer with four buffered outputs.
- Built in 3 digits voltage meter post mix / attenuation / inversion.
- Offset with a dedicated three positions range toggle.
- Manual gate button tied to the mix.
- 4 cascading outputs in an open design configuration.
- Unique signal path: mix – attenuate – invert – add – visualize – multiplicate.
- “Whatever” power connector a.k.a. don’t mind the polarity.
- Width: 6HP
- Depth: 25mm
- Power Consumption: 50mA +12V, 30mA -12V